BEEP BEEEP BEEEEP!!! Your 7am alarm goes off so you roll over to reach for your cellphone to hit the snooze button. After the annoying sound turns off, you then see a list of notifications of who called or texted you, what emails you might have received, and who commented or left a message on your social media. So since you’re at it, might as well open that Instagram or Facebook app to see what’s going on. Once that happens, uh oh… let the scrolling commence.
Don’t get me wrong, social media is great for staying connected with friends and family who you don’t get to see often and it has helped countless people skyrocket their careers and businesses; however, it can also leave you with a lot of icky feelings too. Without even knowing it, you begin to compare your life to others. Oh look at Sandy, she just got a new car while I’ve been driving my same dirt-mobile for the past 6 years. And there’s Keith, with his new hot girlfriend while I’m still stuck here single, bored, and lonely. And then there’s Beth who posts photos of herself stuffing her face with so much delicious food yet she still looks THAT good in her yoga pants? How does she do it? I will NEVER look that good… 😭
The list goes on and on until your 7:10am turns into 7:35am and now you’re rushing to get out the door. Instead of having a nice cup of coffee/tea and making a nutritious and yummy breakfast for yourself, you settle for a measley tangerine or a breakfast bar and you’re off to start the day.
The point I’m trying to make is that mindlessly scrolling through social media can very quickly turn into a comparison game which isn’t a mindset that’s consistent with someone who wants to have a happy and successful day. So below, I have compiled a list of 10 things to do in place of distracting yourself with your phone to ensure a more positive headspace so that you can start your day on your own terms and already in LOVE!
- Get an alarm clock. ⏰ For those of you who use your phone as your alarm, right when it goes off, you’ll be tempted to continue scrolling to your emails, notifications, and etc. This allows the outside world to dictate how your day is going to flow. So to cut that temptation out, you can buy a $10 alarm clock to wake you instead of looking at your phone at all.
- Gratitude practice. 🙏🏼Before you jump out of bed, lay there for a moment and think of a couple of things you’re grateful for. It doesn’t have to be a long list or anything grand, it could just be something as simple as your Mom, your dog, or even your bed that allows you to rest comfortably at night. This will give you a more positive start to your day and help you realize all the wonderful things you already have in your life.
- Smoochies! 💋 If you have a partner, show him/her some love. It’s important to really nourish a love with the person you share your life with if you want to keep it growing strong. If you’re single, give yourself some love. Thank yourself for being the awesome you that you are and know that you are ENOUGH and that you deserve whatever it is you want out of life!
- Make your bed. 🛏 It might seem so small but when this first task is completed, it’ll give you a sense of accomplishment which will create a domino effect that will encourage a good habit for you to continue to get other things done throughout your day. In a 2014 commencement speech at UT-Austin, Naval Admiral McRaven said, “Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter.” (Yes, they do!)
- Make coffee/tea. ☕ Whatever it is that helps you get up and feel fresh for the morning, do that! As for me, I’ve been so spoiled because the bf makes me butter coffee with turmeric creamer. We found out about the turmeric creamer from this cute little breakfast shack when we were in Oahu, Hawaii, recently. It wakes me up, tastes so yummy, and I’m not hungry until late afternoon.
- Meditate. (5-15min) 🧘🏻♀️🧘🏽♂️Find a space or clear some space in your home where you feel comfortable just sitting quietly for a few moments. Meditation definitely takes practice and at first you might not understand the positive effects, but once you get it down, it will feel so good to clear your mind of clutter. It’s just like pressing a “restart” button before you head off on your busy day.
- Play your favorite tunes. 🎶 Music is good for the soul. It can do so many things for you like make you happy, feel inspired, get over a break up, or even help you forget all of your worries. One of my favorite tracks to play in the morning is, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin. This song NEVER fails to put a smile on my face! Whatever type of music puts you in a jolly mood, play that!
- Exercise and/or Stretch. 🏃🏼♂️🏃🏻♀️It’s so important to just get your body moving and the blood flowing. As for me, I will do a little yoga flow or take a 1hr class depending on how much time I have. So whether it be a morning walk/stretch/run… just move!!
- Read/share a little excerpt of choice.📚 Spend your morning learning something new. Find an interesting book, maybe read an inspirational quote, something about love/happiness, just to get the good vibes rolling. If you need some recommendations for books, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I have plenty of great ones to share that have truly helped me live a happier and more fulfilled life!
- Look at your self in the mirror. 😍 I know, I know, this might sound silly or even self-absorbed but just trust me on this one, it’s not like what it seems. So think back to this morning when you woke up and got ready to start your day… Did you get yourself ready to the best of your ability? Did you FEEL good about how you looked? Before you leave your house, go to a mirror and make sure that you feel good about the way you look, because how you look on the outside reflects how you FEEL on the inside. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, it’s how YOU feel that matters the most. Look at yourself in the mirror and say, “I AM BEAUTIFUL/HANDSOME, I AM STRONG, I AM WORTHY OF A LIFE I LOVE, and I AM PERFECT JUST THE WAY I AM!
…And you’re off!!!
Doing all of these things might seem like it’s going to take a lot of time you don’t have, but try waking up 30-45 minutes earlier than you normally would. I promise it will be worth it when you have that extra pep in your step! Everyone around you will begin to notice the positivity that exudes from your entire being and everything related to LOVE can’t help but gravitate towards you!
I really hope this morning ritual helps you as much as it has for me! Sending you all the love and happiness that you deserve, my friends! ❤
P.S. If you’re interested in learning about how I can further assist you in creating a life you truly love,schedule your free discovery session with me! It doesn’t cost anything and who knows, you might even learn something new about yourself you never knew before! 😁